Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Olde English Spelling Bee


Well, today's post is on a label and not a band. For those of you that love weird and wonderful, I think you'll dig this one. OESBee make what people would refer to as 'Music-concret'. All their releases up to this point have been strictly LPs, and they release gorgeous vinyl. All the albums do have a lo-fi pastiched sound that I suppose could be categorized as music concret, but that seems too limiting for the scope of what OESBee does. All the videos released to coincide with the OESBee releases have a strange quality that reminds me of TV Carnage. Somehow, random clips from weird/awful movies seem oddly appropriate for this music. Take Rangers, whose album Suburban Tours has been a stand out in recent months. The song 'Out Past Curfew' has a very eerie quality to it. Once you add the video footage, it sort of completes the package, and the song becomes what I imagine taking acid late at night in 1985 would feel like. Two things to note: I was six in 1985, and I have never taken acid. But that one night I was up too late in 1985 I remember a weird show that was shot through the POV of a taxi cab driver. There was no audio and all you did was drift aimlessly as passengers entered and left, the whole damn thing on mute. It was sort of sickening and instilled a phobia of cabs in my 6 yr old brain. That's 'Out Past Curfew' for you: a semi-remembered waking nightmare from long ago. I've added a few extra videos just to give you a proper taste for this great label.

RANGERS "OUT PAST CURFEW" from OESB // FUTURE SOUND on Vimeo.


MATRIX METALS "FLAMINGO BREEZE, PART 4" from OESB // FUTURE SOUND on Vimeo.


Forest Swords - Visits from OESB // FUTURE SOUND on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment