Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Giant Hand - Down By The River

This dude is from Ottawa. Yes! I didn't discover Giant Hand until about two months ago, but his sound quickly captured me. The whole 'dude/dudette with a guitar thing' is very tricky thing to get right for me. I think you have to have a great sense of melody and a great sense of song structure. In the case of GH Kirk has this great warbly voice that can carry a ton of emotion. The lyrics aren't afraid to go for the jugular either. Much like Bright Eyes, when you combine a singer whose voice has a certain emotional weight to it with a strong lyric or two (in the case of Bright Eyes, endlessly strong lyrics) that's the stuff that can plague you for a day or two. I think GH has enormous potential to make a serious dent in the music scene: he has a unique voice combined with a refined sense of songwriting. Really I don't think you can escape this one without being sucked into the emotional undercurrent just a little.

GIANT HAND - Down By The River from Mitch Fillion on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment